LATEST ISSUE OF COMBINED CYCLE JOURNAL
2015 Outage Handbook
Continuous-improvement mindset enables Klamath Cogen to better its award-winning ideas. Focus is on OSHA VPP, ISO 14001 certification, elimination of secondary-containment entry, management-of-change program, waste-stream reduction, boiler-feed-pump VFDs more
NERC, industry not in synch on battery testing for reliable grid operation more
Stator endwindings in resonance can fail when improperly damped or braced. Key topics include bump testing, vibration monitoring, transducer lessons learned. Case studies for gas and steam turbines detail successful strategies for correcting vibration and resonance issues more
by Bill Moore, National Electric Coil
Tests identify and track deterioration of a failing transformer more
Well-timed megawatts offer potential value to Morris Cogen. Engine-driven compressor modules enhance ability of 6B-powered 3 x 1 combined cycle to provide ancillary services through the PJM regulation market more
Accurately measuring iron key to controlling cycle chemistry. IAPWS technical guidance document provides users a quick course on corrosion product sampling, analysis at no cost more
Improve performance of vertical pumps with cost-effective repairs and upgrades. Includes a case history of a failed service-water pump more
by Dr T Ravisundar, Hydro Inc
Regular inspection, maintenance critical to top performance more
Forget the ‘labor pool,’ developing employee skills is management’s responsibility. Here’s how a turbine services provider partnered with a post-secondary career and technical education center to help willing high-school grads develop into entry-level mechanics more
Checklist facilitates troubleshooting of gas-turbine ignition systems more
Within the last year, there have been several serious crane accidents in powerplants. Avoid costly, lost-time accidents by understanding the ABCs of rigging, lifting, and hauling more
by Patricia Irwin, PE
What’s ‘recordable,’ what’s not? Take the quiz given to NAES O&M managers and see how much you really know more
Three major changes to NFPA 70E slated for the 2015 edition impact personnel protection equipment, hazard/risk category zero (HRC 0), and prohibited approach boundary (PAB). How will they affect your procedures? more
by James R White, Shermco Industries
The HEPA value proposition. A first-hand user account of GT air inlet filter performance and economics more
M&D solutions suite ultra-reliable, invaluable for avoiding forced outages. Engineers at an F-class combined cycle with deep experience in diagnostics and analytics share what works best for them, what has marginal benefit more
Affordable, timely replacement requires precise planning, skilled labor. Profile of a recent project offers tips on planning and job execution, lessons learned more
USER GROUP REPORTS
- D11 N2 packing, casing cracking, side ripple-spring migration, rotor straightening, generator robotic inspection among hot topics at first meeting more
- 25th Anniversary meeting, Long Beach, Calif, March 15-18, 2015.
- Special technical presentations from the 2014 conference profiled here: HRSGs in flexible operation, recent developments in SCR and CO catalyst systems, fuel and water valve maintenance.
- Plus, controls upgrades for LM6000 engines more
- Day One workshops total eight classroom hours, challenge stamina of owner/operators.
- HRSG Spotlight Session, presented by HRST Inc, digs into repair of damage to pressure parts and offers a checklist of lessons learned for users writing specs for new units.
- Performance and reliability enhancements for 7F engines, presented by PSM’s top engineers, profile advancements in compressor, combustion, and turbine components more
Siemens’ new approach to the W501F and W501G annual user group conference more